Retirement homes have been severely affected by widescale infections during the Covid19 pandemic. The reasons are manifold but can be summarized as follows:
- The elderly are at a higher risk of infection due to a weakened immune system.
- Guests and family members may be introducing the virus into a closed environment.
- The staff are also exposed to the general population and may introduce the virus into the retirement home.
- If the air in tenants’ rooms and public spaces is not frequently refreshed, it may increase the risk of infection.
Possible sources of infection.
- All surfaces which are frequently handled by tenants or workers (like furniture, door handles, etc.) are a potential source of infection.
- The air in the rooms and public areas is a major source of infection, due to the presence of infected droplets exhaled during social interactions.
- All surfaces should be frequently disinfected to remove both dirt and potential viruses and bacteria.
- The air in the home should be circulated frequently to reduce the concentration of infected droplets in the living areas. Studies have shown that infected droplets may remain in the air for as much as 3 hours and up to 72 hours on surfaces.
Humidity levels should be maintained at between 40%-60%.
When the air in a room is dry, the infected droplets that are spread as a result of coughing, sneezing and conversation, will remain in the room for a longer time.
- The air in the rooms and public areas can be easily sanitized, by daily use of Ecozone technologies Ozone treatment. Once the public areas have been vacated by workers, tenants and guests, the room may be sanitized and deodorized after the tenants and workers have retired for the night. This will ensure that the public areas are fully sanitized at the start of each day.
Ecozone Technologies Ozone treatments have another distinct advantage.
Ozone is extremely effective in the removal of all unpleasant odors since it breaks down the organic source of odors.
Tenants rooms should also be regularly treated with the Super ActivO™ Ozone generator, to both disinfect surfaces and remove odors. The typical room can be treated in a short period of time, while the tenants are going about their daily activities in the public areas of the home.
Curtains textiles and hard to reach spots should be disinfected using Ecozone Technologies Ozone treatments
Ozone, as a gas, can penetrate every point in the room, including carpets, curtains, furniture, textiles and sanitize the entire room, including the air that the tenants breathe.
Any residual ozone is automatically removed by the Ecozone Super ActivO ™ ozone generator and therefore presents no risk to tenants and staff.
- Staff and guests should wear protective masks at all times to reduce the risk of airborne infection.
- Social distancing should be practiced by all especially in the public areas.
- Frequent hand washing and the use of disinfectant gels will certainly reduce the threat of infection.
- Periodic ozone treatments to deactivate various types of bacteria and viruses found in public spaces.
Ecozone Technologies- “Ozone does it”
Ecozone Technologies have been manufacturing powerful Ozone generators for over 25 years, based on unique technology.
The Singlet Pentarod ™, Ecozone’s unique and patented core technology, yields high amounts of ozone from ambient air, even in humid or dusty conditions.